Our Pilgrim Members are our lifeblood. By joining the Foundation you become part of the team that owns, preserves, maintains and operates Pilgrim on behalf of the nation, our wider South Devon family and the vibrant Brixham fishing community. Pilgrim of Brixham BM45, is the oldest surviving sailing trawler built and rigged in Brixham and is only one of two operating out of the port these days. Many of our Members. especially the local ones, are volunteers who work tirelessly to keep Pilgrim sailing. Volunteers help with crewing, maintenance, public events and with administration, the website and social media. There is a role for everyone. Even some of our Pilgrim Members who don’t live locally get involved in crewing and helping with our other activities.
Pilgrim Members pay an individual membership subscription Pilgrim is 125 years old this year so please take out a subscription to help keep her sailing in the traditional manner as she did in 1895.
Our Membership year runs from 6th April to 5th April the following year. New arrangements take effect from April 2021. The individual subscription is £50 per annum. New applicants joining after 1st January 2021 and prior to 6th April 2021 will benefit from a subscription through to 5th April 2022 at the same rate.
Benefits and Entitlements
- Insurance cover for personal accident or injury while volunteering on Pilgrim or undertaking volunteer activity elsewhere (e.g. the Barn or at Brixham Laboratory)
- The opportunity to undertake evaluation and training for sailing crew subject to places being available and individual aptitude
- Complementary beverages on board or when volunteering elsewhere
- Each year, subscribing members will be able to choose from one of the following when they renew their membership:
A free liveried Pilgrim duffle bag with shoe compartment (see picture below)
A free liveried Pilgrim stainless steel water bottle for hot or cold drinks (see picture below)
A £10 Gift Voucher for Pilgrim merchandise or sailing (for own use or for passing on)
To provide for a £10 donation by the Foundation to fund sailing programmes for disadvantaged young people
(Merchandise choices will vary from time to time)
- Membership subscriptions are eligible for Gift Aid. This provides a £12.50 uplift in the value of the annual subscription to the Foundation where members are UK tax payers
- Members are entitled to participate in and vote at Foundation General Meetings and, if nominated and duly elected, to serve as Directors and Trustees. This provides a genuine opportunity to influence how Pilgrim is run and means every volunteer can have their say!
For those aged under 25 years of age who are in full time education there is a Student Membership subscription which will be £25 per annum and will not be eligible to be Gift Aided. All other entitlements will apply.